Sunday, December 6, 2009

Regulator. It May Be The Regulator.

The last few hours have been for me a crash course in automotive alternator/generator tech. 101. This is good because it keeps the brain healthy. This is bad because it means I still don't know what's wrong with my spare alternator. I plan to take it in for testing tomorrow . . . ugh, check the time stamp and make that today. If it works, the problem was dirty brushes. I've got 2.7 ohms at the wires on the brushes, which have been cleaned. IF it still fails I am leaning toward a bad regulator.

If that's the case, I'm going to slap the newly re-bearing'd front case on my car's currently-installed alternator and see if the noise remains (then it'd be the hard to replace bearing).

What a hassle. I didn't start out wanting to keep an older car running with pure elbow grease and brain juice. We bought this thing brand new. It's just sort-of happened. Oh well. We'll see what the testing machine says later, I guess. At least I know from previous experience that my battery has enough oomph to get me all the way home, should the alternator fail in any way that doesn't drain the battery. . .

No comments: