Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Take A Little Trip And See . . .

You were intended to hear the horns from Low Rider by War at this point, but that's not how Blogger rolls. Anywho . . .

I went for a ride-along with one of the officers at the local Police Department Friday night/Saturday morning. It was a fairly quiet night as far as police work goes. A family got their lost cell phone back, a dog was impounded, a few tickets were written. Lots of general driving around in the dark looking for trouble and not finding it. Lunch with two policemen. What happened wasn't really the point.

For something like a year or more, I've been getting this feeling like I ought to be (have to be?) a COP. I went for a job interview; they were being interviewed and didn't know it. I found that (at least on that shift) the local P.D. is highly professional and they love their work, and where they work. Evidently this is a REALLY good department for a policeman to work. There is also a very nice (new-ish) facility down town, and about 20x more things to fool with in the cars than I am used to. I went on a ride-along to see if it was an instant turn-off or what. I know a girl who went for a ride-along with an EMS crew and knew that night she no longer wanted to be an EMT. No such luck with me.

So I'm not sure what will happen. This seems like one of those times when God has something cooking but he won't let anyone know what it is until they take a bite of it. The main impediment really is that the locals don't sponsor cadets at the academy, which is expensive. The other two single-digits-of-miles-away PDs do, but I don't feel like working somewhere else (for now). The other problem is who pays the bills my salary normally covers, while I'm tied up learnin' policin' work.

We'll see.

No comments: