Saturday, April 17, 2010

Photograpy: Not A Risk-Free Profession!

NLB was talking to someone about rights and copyrights to photos of people taken in public places. He's a decent sort but I felt like giving him a hard time. He wanted to get meaningless backup for his position, so he turned to me:

NLB: Isn't that right VFD?
VFD: Hmm?
NLB: About takin' pictures of kids in public . . .
VFD: Might be an ass whoopin'
NLB: (something about explaining you're a photographer taking pictures & not some pervert)
VFD: Well, not if you're nice about it. If you're a jerk about it, that might be an ass whoopin'
NLB: I gotta legal right to it
VFD: Show your legal right to the asswhoopin
NLB: (something about how the asswhooper would catch charges for Assault)
VFD: Depends on how you do it & where you do it!
NLB: ::crickets::

If you are in a crowded park, you should have no expectation of privacy and you should expect to catch a case for Assault for stomping a photographer into the ground for photographing your children.

If you are alone save the photographer, and he doesn't know you, and you take his camera as well as leave him lyin', I'd say you have a pretty good chance of not getting in any trouble at all.

Not that I recommend beating on people, but I also recommend not taking pictures of my children without my consent. You perv.

No comments: