Monday, August 24, 2009

AtticFoil.com Radiant Barrier Sample: Wow.

Regular readers will know I have been hurting for a radiant barrier in my attic this summer. I finally ordered a free sample of the only thing they sell at AtticFoil.com: heavy weight attic radiant barrier material. I expected to be underwhelmed. I figured all the positive stuff they have on their website was just spin to sell their junk.

I. Was. Wrong.

I was considering using plain aluminum foil (from Costco) and stapling it up between the rafters in my attic. I was, to put it mildly, skeptical of the high praise AtticFoil has for their own product. I mean, how tough can you really make aluminum foil?

The sample came and I put it to the test straight out of the envelope by grabbing a fistful on either end and yanking a little. Aluminum foil would have split immediately, and the AtticFoil sample held. I yanked harder, and then I tugged on it as hard as I could, trying to use my back muscles to pull this stuff apart. Then I smoothed it out again and it was a tiny bit stretched-out. This stuff is nails.

Okay, so it's tough, says I, but how does it cut? My knife says it cuts like butter. Surely that means it will tear, right? HA! You couldn't tear this stuff if you tried. I slit my sample and tugged on both sides of the cut. I had to put a pretty good effort in, but I finally got the weave to start pulling apart.

Hold on there.

The weave? Yeah, the weave. This stuff is made of Aluminium that is somehow bonded to plastic strips and woven tight. Each strip is frikken strong, so the finished product is strong as all get-out.

So I did the only logical next thing to do: I measured my roof and figured out I have a couple-few hundred dollars that need to be worked in to the family budget. You can do your own comparison shopping as easily as I can, but the prices at AtticFoil.com will take some doing to beat.

********

Man, I just proof-read this post and I sound like an AtticFoil.com sales weasel! Well, there it is. Before you accuse me of being a shill, I'll go ahead and say "I ain't one." I'm getting this stuff for my own use as soon as I can afford it. If you are still skeptical, you might consider this post where I deprecated a product the sale of which would benefit me personally, financially, or this post where I review something I paid money for and the manufacturer doesn't even know I exist.

2 comments:

Seth Floyd Jr said...

Hows this stuff working out for you these days? Did you ever finally do your whole attic?

Vote For David said...

It works out amazingly well. See this post and this one