Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Review: Kensington Expert Mouse

Cliff's: Best. Input. Device. EVAR.

My dad converted me to a trackball user as a boy, and i've been using ever since.

"Hi, my name is VFD"
"Hi VFD"
"Yeah, um, so, I've been using Kensington trackballs since before the Pentium processor was invented"
::scattered applause::

I bought one for myself in the '90s and wore it out completely. I replaced a couple of failed switches, but eventually the circuit board gave out. I bought another one. The finish is worn through from my sandpaper-like Man Hands but the mechanism is still sweet. Plus it's got an optical sensor so it can be super-dusty and still work. . . which is great because I use it at work where we blow dust off of stuff with shop air, and the dust layer is useful in forensic investigations.

If you don't like a trackball, you won't like this one.
If you do like a trackball, you will like the Kensington Expert Mouse.
UNLESS
You don't have oily facial skin.

.
.
.

Hold on there. What?

The Kensington trackballs roll on little tiny rollers. When they get dry and dusty they are gritty. When they are slightly oily, they can be filthy with dust and keep on rolling smooth as silk. You don't think about it, but you touch your face all the time. The trace amounts of facial oils that get transferred to the roller ball are enough to lubricate it. If you are a fanatic about sterilizing your workstation with alcohol on a daily basis, you will probably not like any of the Kensington trackballs.

I luv 'em.

No comments: