Thursday, August 6, 2009

Corrosive Primers: Evil!

From my youth, I was indoctrinated in the dark arts of the shootaguncleanagun cult of arms maintenance. I was backslidden recently, but no longer! I have renewed my vows and seen the error of my ways.

~or~

A while back I shot something through one of my .22 automatics that had corrosive primers. And I neglected to clean the gun for a few weeks. I opened it up tonight, and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but RUST! Three rather important springs and the bolt all had a light (scrubbed off with scotchbrite and Hoppe's #9) coat of surface rust. Dangit.

It's a good thing I just bought another Marlin 60, because cleaning the new one was inspiration for cleaning this one, also. Whoever last owned my new rifle was NOT an initiate in the shootaguncleanagun cult, and it looked like the black heart of an M4 after a firefight in there.

No comments: