Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I Have GOT To Get A Radiant Barrier In My Attic!

In Texas, it gets warm. We've had around 50 days this year over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and several over 105º.

In my house, we like to keep it around 76º for the sake of inhabitant comfort. As my wife is a fine specimen of that ever-so-rare gem, a Homemaker, that means I want it to be 76º during the peak afternoon heat.

Our air conditioner was made in 1986, and it shows sometimes. When it's 105º out, it's 80º inside, if it's sunny. That's a 25º differential temperature and nothing to sniff at, but still mildly uncomfortable. This is America and we like 24/7 comfort! Today it was 100º and cloudy and the thing had no difficulty keeping the inside temperature down . . . until the clouds baked off. Then it rose to 78º pretty quick.

I have GOT to get that radiant barrier up. Being both broke and handy, it will be a DIY job. In the attic. When it's 130º up there. Ugh. But if it keeps the family comfy, it's worth an afternoon or two of hassle.

********

Update: Nice try, local business guy, but I don't allow advertisements on my little corner of the Intertubes, even in comments. I especially don't allow unpaid advertisements from a company I never heard of. But thanks for reading.

No comments: