Friday, July 1, 2011

K.I.S.S. Your Scrollbar (Instead of Whatever is Next to it!)

I use Firefox 3.something at work on a relatively large monitor, and the buttons for controlling the browser are frustratingly small. I had already found and happily installed the Kempleton Large theme and my buttons on the huge screen at work are back to a usable size; the scroll bars are still easy to miss. This is especially bothersome when another application (Photoshop) lives juuuust off the edge of the screen (tool dialogs are on the next screen) and missing the vertical scroll bar takes me all the way out of the browser.

I looked around online and started to get discouraged. I found some people recommending changing the code inside Firefox to change scrollbar width. I kept looking. It turns out, the vertical scrollbar width is an "advanced" Windows setting. Changed. Fixed. Wonderful.

That, and the fact that IT Buddy has been able to implement some long-wanted changes to our in-house software in the last couple of days, has got me pretty happy about the computery stuff at work lately. Like the song says: it's the little things . . . that meeeean alot!

No comments: