Thursday, April 7, 2011

Funny Tutorial Is Funny, Shows How To Do Magic

My camera does not shoot RAW images, and it does not have a provision to set the white point, aside from a gross "this should be white" white point adjustment two menu levels deep. My shooting lights are usually off to save 600 Watts of electricity AND to save the 35 hour life-rated bulbs burning out too quickly. This leaves me with a shifty color balance as the lamps warm up which I have to correct sometimes even from one shot to the next. Thankfully, Photoshop is magic and I can do that a few different ways.

I have long wondered, however, why there was no simple way to pick a spot on my random .jpg images and say "Computer, this is your White Balance Point." Well it turns out there is and I never knew it. This will save me (and several of my co-workers, to whom I sent the tutorial link) a bit of post-processing time. Many, many thanks to Switch on the Code for posting this tutorial.

No comments: